The Solar Trade Association (STA) is the leading voice for the solar industry in the UK. We represent both the solar heating and solar power renewable energy sector groups. It was established in 1978 as a not-for-profit association and we have a wide range of membership companies comprising from large manufacturers, through to distributors installers, consultancy firms and training bodies. In addition, it has a rapidly growing contingent of overseas members looking to do business in the UK. Through its affiliation with the REA, it is the most influential trade association in these sectors.
The STA works closely with Government and its officials on policy areas that effect solar’s deployment including financial incentives, planning, building regulations and taxation. It also engages heavily on technical and training issues. In addition, the STA provides expert advice on all these issues to its membership either individually or through its regular member meetings and news letters.
The STA’s four key objectives are to:
1) Champion solar to investors, decision-makers and in the media to maximise positive perceptions
2) Promote high standards and strengthen the industry’s reputation through our technical and issue-specific working groups
3) Listen and respond diligently to membership needs to optimise membership satisfaction
4) Retain STA’s position as the most influential solar trade association with Government and be recognised by all stakeholders as the voice of the solar industry.
Key Benefits of Membership
Joining the STA means that you become part of the community of companies and individuals focused on solar in the UK. Through membership, you will be promoted as the best choice for solar equipment & services and being a member can bring the following benefits:
- Referrals from the “find a member” enquiry services on STA website and from phone enquiries
- Use of Association’s Logo
- Keeping up to date with weekly newsletters
- Member’s area on STA website & Membership Certificate
- Updates on all regulatory changes and new technical specifications that affect your business
- Access to industry experts providing advice on the market, regulations, certification processes and technical support
- Access to market research studies (tracking industry trends, central source of information for solar)
- Access to online library of STA reference documents and related material
- Training and education advice
- Network with industry stakeholders and the wider building construction industry
- Opportunity to influence future Government policy and standards
- Discounted rates to attend REA and other UK industry conferences and exhibitions
- Free to members web based recruitment service
Additional Membership Benefits :
Through its affiliation with the REA, the STA is now represented on :
- BS EN Technical Standards committees
- Code for sustainable home committees
- Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS), strategy and related programs
- Zero Carbon buildings
- Building and Planning Regulations
- EPIA and ESTIF
The STA is overseen by a Board of Directors and policy is decided on the principle of one member, one vote. Currently, beneath the Board there are several working groups covering: policy and lobbying, training, separate technical groups for PV and ST as well as groups for manufacturers, construction and merchant sectors.
STA Articles and Byelaws
The STA and its members are governed by the Articles and Byelaws. These documents set out the rules governing the Association including powers of the Board of Directors, membership criteria and disciplinary procedures.
The Articles and Byelaws may be updated from time to time and the current version can be downloaded below.