Since 1978, the Solar Trade Association (STA) has worked to promote the benefits of solar energy and to make its adoption easy and profitable for domestic and commercial users.
A not-for-profit association, we are funded entirely by our membership, which includes installers, manufacturers, distributors, large scale developers, investors and law firms.Read more about Membership
What We Do
The STA is the UK’s leading solar industry voice, with a proven track record of winning breakthroughs for the UK’s solar industry.
On your behalf, and drawing on expertise from right across the solar industry, we undertake in-house policy development and provide advice and analysis to Government departments, politicians, agencies, regulators, NGOs, the media and other stakeholders.
Our work is broken down into the following areas:
Recent Policy Successes
The STA engages in policy areas which significantly shape the expansion of the solar industry. Recent successes for the industry include:
- Achieving good support in the RHI, with improvements to deeming
- Defining best practice for solar farms through our 10 Commitments
- Chairing DECC’s Solar Strategy groups & taskforces
- Representation on key UK industry groups on grid issues for solar
- Winning BIS and DECC backing to limit damaging EU duties
- Identified for DECC the major barriers for roof mounted pv growth
- Modelling & challenging EMR solar strike prices and costs
- Winning Ministerial commitment to unlock the mid/large roof market
Structure of the STA
The STA is overseen by a Board of Directors and policy is decided on the principle of one member, one vote. Beneath the Board there are several working groups covering: policy, technical groups for PV and ST, large scale PV, grid, public relations and lobbying as well as new build.
STA Articles and Byelaws
The STA and its members are governed by the Articles and Byelaws. These documents set out the rules governing the Association including powers of the Board of Directors, membership criteria and disciplinary procedures.
The Articles and Byelaws may be updated from time to time and the current versions can be downloaded below.