Solar Sales Engineer (Graduate or Graduate+)
HQ in Crawley + Service office in Central London
£25,000 to £30,000 per annum.
Naked Energy is an award-winning UK technology company providing low-carbon energy to businesses. At the core of Naked Energy’s offering is Virtu®: a unique solar technology with the potential to revolutionise heating, cooling and power provision. Having secured £5.25M growth capital, Naked Energy is seeking exceptional candidates to join the team as we bring Virtu to the global mass market. This Solar Sales Engineer post will be perfectly suited to a recent graduate seeking a commercially facing role. We encourage candidates with any technical and/or business training. Experience working in a related field is desirable but not essential.
Responsible to: CEO, CTO, sales lead
Key working Relationships (internal): Management team, technical team, sales team
Key working Relationships (external): Clients, partners and suppliers
The successful candidate will be a key player in Naked Energy’s go-to-market strategy. You will be responsible for
• engaging with new customers, evaluating their needs, tailoring solutions, communicating the value proposition, and ultimately driving sales.
• building strong relationships with clients, identifying decision makers, navigating procurement structures, and developing new business.
• providing technical details and performance predictions to clients using our suite of modelling tools.
• supporting development of our sales materials, online tools and modelling capabilities.
• advising and making decisions on sales and marketing process and strategy.
• guiding the technical team on how to tailor the product to the customer.
You will be joining a small dynamic enterprise. Whilst the above sets out the principle responsibilities of the role, all team-members have the opportunity and expectation to contribute to the diverse range of activities undertaken within Naked Energy.
Who we are looking for?
• An undergraduate level degree in any engineering, science, environmental or business discipline or NVQ equivalent qualifications in electrical, plumbing and heating or degree-equivalent technical or business experience.
• A customer orientated person who is comfortable making new connections and building lasting relationships.
• Numerate and confident working with numerical modelling tools, e.g., excel models.
• Organizing, analysing and communicating quantitative data.
• The ability to create professional eye-catching presentations.
• A team player who is willing to own their area of responsibility and also willing to pitch in when needed elsewhere.
• Highly organised and self-disciplined approach to personal time management.
• Strong communicator able to explain technical material in understandable terms.
• High attention to detail and strong process orientation.
• All team members are expected to share Naked Energy’s mission of working towards a low carbon future through innovative ethical enterprise. A passion for sustainability is essential.
Experience we consider a bonus
• Dual technical and business education / experience.
• Experience in a customer-facing role.
• A higher-level degree in science, engineering or business.
• Experience of working in a start-up environment.
• An understanding of electronics, hydronics and thermal transfer.
• Understanding of subsidies and regulations relevant to solar energy.
Why join us?
You will be joining a unique and successful scale-up in the renewables sector, giving you the opportunity to
• be involved in a broad portfolio of projects across different sectors
• take responsibility early on and grow with the business
• earn a competitive graduate or graduate+ level salary
• train and learn across a range of disciplines
• make a positive contribution to the climate challenge
Naked Energy is a UK-based company of pioneering scientists, engineers, designers and entrepreneurs at the forefront of the global transition to sustainable energies.
We are defining a whole new category of solar technology that enables businesses around the world to dramatically lower their operating costs whilst having a greater impact on their sustainability goals with the space available.
We enable businesses and property owners to improve the energy ratings of their estate by significantly reducing on-site CO2 emissions.
• Active Office: The UK’s first energy-positive office, in Swansea UK
• Virtu ATES: Revolutionary energy solution storing solar heat and cold in underground aquifers for winter heating and summer cooling.
Our commitment and expectations
Naked Energy is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the 7 expectations detailed below:
1) Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
2) Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
3) Communicate regularly and effectively within and across teams
4) Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
5) Deliver positive outcomes
6) Develop and grow skills and expertise
7) Work in a planned and managed way
Date posted: 20/12/2019
Head of Business Development & Marketing
Greencoat House, Francis Street, SW1P 1DH
£50k per annum plus performance incentive (dependent on experience), 5% pension and 25 days holiday.
The STA is the UK voice of the solar and energy storage industries with an exceptional and proven track record of winning policy breakthroughs and creating supportive services for companies in the sector. We represent 200 companies in the solar photovoltaic (PV), solar heat and energy storage industries, with membership and income rising in 2019. As we move to a subsidy-free market, the STA is expanding its work in direct engagement with the customers of solar and energy storage.
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and commercially driven person to work alongside the expanding UK solar and storage industries as it aims to deliver 15-20% of UK electricity demand by 2030. They will lead the development and delivery of a new business development strategy to grow membership income and provide new services for a diverse set of member companies. They will also develop and lead the delivery of cross-industry marketing activities to promote the benefits of solar and energy storage to high energy users, public sector energy buyers, the construction industry, utilities and domestic consumers via the media. They will work closely with the Chief Executive and Board in leading the UK solar and energy storage industries into a new post-subsidy era.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Develop and implement a Business Development strategy, in consultation with the Chief Executive and Board, to grow the income of the STA by recruitment of new members, development of new membership services, increasing income from existing members and developing and delivering high quality events.
2. Develop and implement a Marketing and Communications Strategy, in consultation with the Chief Executive and Board, for the UK solar and energy storage industries targeted at potential customer groups and industry partners including corporate & public sector energy buyers, the property industry, local authorities, electricity industry and domestic consumers.
3. Identify and develop relationships with organisations that have the potential to become STA members
4. Manage relationships with existing members to ensure the value of membership is well communicated
5. Accountability for stretching financial targets for membership, services and events
6. Increase the media profile of the solar and storage industries.
7. Oversee the STA communications to our member companies, including members newsletters, webinars and managing the delivery of major improvements to the STA website.
8. Develop and maintain a list of key stakeholders, and a plan for building strong relationships with them.
9. Line manage two posts: Business Engagement Officer who handles membership services and delivery of customer facing events and Communications & Public Affairs Officer, who handles media enquiries.
10. Identify opportunities for external partnerships and funding streams for the STA priority activities, as agreed in the Organisational Strategy for 2020-22
11. Oversee liaison with some external providers of IT, accounting, graphic design etc
12. Represent the STA at public events, deputising for the Chief Executive where required, networking with attendees to engage with potential new members
Skills & Qualifications – Essential
• A degree in a relevant field
• Demonstrable track record in business development at a senior level either in a commercial or trade association environment.
• Evidence of market knowledge and an extensive existing network in energy, ideally in solar or renewables
• Strong communication, sales and interpersonal skills
• Proven ability to identify new business leads and income streams, negotiate and close sales
• Experience of operating successfully in, and contributing to a growing business
• The confidence to act as the “the face” of the Association, driving market development, PR and the external marketing strategy
• First class people management skills
• Experience in social media, website design and online marketing
• Ability to multi-task, deliver to tight deadlines
• Willingness to travel widely in the UK, with some overseas travel
Skills & Qualifications – Desirable
• Relevant master’s degree
• Experience in marketing and communications, including liaising with national media
• Passionate about solar energy and the future of the solar industry
Date posted: 20/12/2019
Solar PV & Storage Electrician
To assist with the increase in demand for Solar we need an additional Full Time Electrician to join our team of Solar PV and Storage Installers.
You will be working throughout the South West installing the latest Green technology for domestic and commercial customers. As well as routine maintenance, testing, and remedial work on existing Solar arrays, Electric Vehicle charging point installations, and installation of Battery Storage Systems to name a few.
If helping our customers to save the planet sounds good to you, come and join us. We offer a fantastic team environment including team days, career progression, training and we make a great cuppa!
Full Clean Driving Licence
17th or 18th Edition Qualified
3 years Electrical experience minimum
Solar experience advantageous but not essential
A passion for renewable energy
Great customer service skills
Up 7.5 weeks holiday.
Team events & trips (long weekend to Morzine in February).
Training and certificates in EV, PV and I&T all paid for.
Great team culture – come and be part of the solution.
If this sounds like your kind of thing, we would love to hear from you!
Naked Solar are the South West’s favourite Solar PV installer – voted Best Solar Installer 2019.
Date posted: 19/12/2019
KESS2 Scholarship (MbyRes)
University of South Wales
Annual Stipend: circa £11k p.a.
The selected candidate will apply their energy systems knowledge and scientific skills and ambition to the investigation of solar heat farm configurations which, in the UK context, can deliver heat at the lowest levelized cost. This energy systems cost optimisation challenge will allow the student to develop transferable knowledge and skills in this most exciting and active field of heat decarbonisation research.
This Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarship (KESS) project will be held in the Faculty Life Sciences and Education at the University of South Wales. KESS is a programme funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) awarded by the Welsh European Funding Office (WEFO) in the Welsh Government. The project will focus on the decarbonisation of heat as this is one of the key challenges towards achieving a low carbon society. Heat from solar sources has the potential to be a low-cost solution to providing decarbonised heat. By investigating a range of methods to produce low carbon heating from solar technologies, the capabilities of different solar heat farms will be determined and the results from the study used to inform academia, industry and relevant government organisations.
The project is backed by Energy Transitions Limited, South Wales based specialist solar energy practitioners, who are using their expertise, experience, insights and networks of relationships to develop services and IP in the heat decarbonisation sector.
Studentship: The studentship will cover the fees for a full-time MbyRes programme and pay a stipend of circa £11k p.a. There is also around £3k project support costs available for consumables, travel, minor equipment, training (including the KESS Grad School) and conference attendance. The position is available from 1st April 2020.
Eligibility of Student: To be eligible to hold a KESS studentship, you must:
• have a home address in East Wales area at the time of registration.
• have the right to take up paid work in the East Wales area on completion of the scholarship.
• be classified by the University as ‘home’ or ‘EU’ for tuition fees purposes according to the University’s guidelines.
• satisfy University of South Wales’s admissions criteria.
Qualifications and experience: Eligible applicants will:
• Have a degree (2:1 or higher) in an appropriate scientific or mathematical discipline;
• Possess a reasonable understanding of energy systems and solar technologies;
• Be highly self-motivated, with capacity to learn and develop scientific, mathematical and techno-economic assessment techniques;
• Have well-developed and positive collaborative interpersonal skills;
• Have an ability to deliver technical reports and communicate findings;
• Be willing to travel and work in industrial / clinical / community support settings.
For any queries on eligibility, please contact: KESS Team at Research and Innovation Services, University of South Wales: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01443 482578 For informal enquiries or further programme information, please contact: Dr Stephen Carr: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: midnight Sunday 26th January 2020 Interviews will be held w/c (TBC)
Date posted: 19/12/2019
Embedded Software Engineer
£40,000-£75,000 (dependent on experience).
The electronics and firmware on the ZEB controls and monitors sensors, motors, pumps
and fans. In addition the ZEB connects over the internet to our AWS based IoT platform
which enables us to do some smart things around performance optimisation, connection to
3rd party platforms as well as functionality like OTA updates and connection to apps. The
ZEB leverages dynamic energy pricing data, weather data and APIs to 3rd party platforms to
provide flexibility services such as frequency response to the National Grid and DNOs.
We are looking for someone who is predominantly a Firmware Engineer but also has some
Electronics and industrial experience to join the team.
This is a critical role for the team at a time when we’re looking to grow significantly over the
next year and beyond. We are looking for someone who is driven, smart and willing to get
stuck in to a variety of work.
Finally, we’re looking for someone passionate about tackling climate change.
We firmly believe in the existential threat that climate change poses to us all. This is why we’re doing
what we can to change something!
● Full-time employee to start at the earliest available date (Ideally January 2020)
● Designing, developing and refining our firmware and electronics to get it to market
for the end of 2020. This will also include taking it through certification and
extensive testing supported by the rest of the team.
● Designing, developing, testing and supporting firmware for future product models in
Key Skills & Experience
● Ability to design, develop and test C/C++ source code with version control and
● Experience developing onto an RTOS on low-power MCUs
● Able to interface with a wide range of peripherals to enable real-time control
● Experience developing cloud connectivity via WiFi and/or mobile app connectivity via
● Experience of FreeRTOS on the ESP32 and/or STM32F3 MCUs
● An implementation of the AWS IoT SDK using the device shadow and jobs
● Experience of a digital PID control implementation and ability to tune cascading
● Experience in the Energy Sector also with electricity metering and frequency
● Experience developing mixed signal (analog and digital) microcontroller-based,
● Experience developing mixed voltage (230VAC and <12VDC) PCBs
● Able to design, build and operate HIL test rigs
● Experience cost reducing existing PCBs, and DfM for volume production
● Ability to design, select components, draw up schematics, and layout PCBs
compliant to EU legislation
● Worked with RF and radio modules (sub GHz, WiFi/BLE, etc.)
● Testing and diagnosis of PCBs using signal generators, oscilloscopes & flying probes
Please include a copy of your CV and any supporting information you think we should have. We
are considering applications on a rolling basis so do get in touch ASAP.
Date posted: 18/11/2019
Listing jobs on the Solar Jobs Board is free for STA Members. Non-members can list their jobs for £25+VAT per listing.
If you would like to list your job, please complete this form.