Date posted: 03/10/2019
£36K – £40K per annum
The STA is the voice of the UK solar power, heat and energy storage industries, with an exceptional track record of winning breakthroughs and creating supportive services for companies in the sector.
With an exciting year ahead and subsidy-free solar developments now under construction, we are looking for a dynamic candidate to lead our policy team, defining and analysing the policies which will ensure solar and energy storage will play a significant role in the delivering the UK Net-Zero carbon targets. You will be working on everything from how to reshape Ofgem regulation to facilitate decentralised renewables, to constructing the financial business case for investment in energy storage, to understanding how UK carbon pricing will influence investment in solar parks.
Applicants must be able to excel in a fast-paced environment of ever-changing priorities. You will need to apply your talents across a wide range of functions, working within a small committed team and with partners across the sector. This is an exceptional opportunity to work at the heart of the UK renewables industry and develop skills across a range of policy, analytical and technical areas.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Strategic leadership of the policy and research work of the STA, as determined by the Chief Executive and Board. Generating ideas for future policy & research work which are both consistent with organisation priorities and have potential for external funding.
- Line management of Senior Policy Analyst and Policy Officer, and project management of any external consultants delivering policy, technical and research work for the STA.
- Being the STA policy and technical lead on large scale solar generation and energy storage.
- STA lead for economics, financial and data analysis across all solar and storage markets.
- Ensuring STA responds to all policy consultations that have a material impacts on solar and energy storage from government, Ofgem, National Grid or DNOs
- Keeping on top of policy and technical developments for the STA team and updating members.
- Developing financial and analytical models
- Providing strategic direction and executive support for the STA member working groups on Large Scale PV, Operations & Maintenance and Commercial, Industrial and Utility Scale energy storage. This includes developing a long term work plan and prioritising activities.
- Ensuring member enquiries on the energy sector are responded to by the Policy team.
- Leading on specific policy areas where required, preparing briefings for members, government, the media and the public to support our lobbying activities
- Being a lead author for STA reports on large scale solar & storage, economics and finance.
- Co-ordination with the communications and public affairs team – e.g. summarising policy developments for press releases or responding to media enquiries where needed
- Supporting the development of technical standards and regulations with members e.g. liaising with National Grid and/or DNOs on how the distribution system needs to change to accommodate increased in decentralised renewable power, such as solar.
- Representing the STA at meetings, events and conferences, including chairing meetings and undertaking public speaking for the STA.
- Assisting with membership recruitment, communications and events.
Skills & Qualifications
• Minimum 2.1 in a relevant undergraduate degree
• Excellent numeracy, analytical and spreadsheet skills – comfortable working with numbers
• At least 5 years experience in sustainable energy industry, regulation or economics
• Excellent written, spoken and interpersonal skills
• Confident public speaker
• Experience with economic modelling and financial analysis
• Passionate about solar energy and the future of the solar industry
• Ability to multi-task and remain calm under pressure against multiple deadlines
• Line management experience
• Technical experience of the UK electricity grid, energy markets and solar industry.
• Relevant master’s degree
• Experience in constructing and manipulating financial models
Date posted: 07/10/2019
Technical Support Manager
Midlands / National
£30K – £40K per annum
sonnen is a market leader for residential battery storage systems with more than 20,000 sonnenBatterie units sold worldwide. Our Head Office is in Wildpoldsried, Germany, and we have employees in 13 countries across 4 continents
sonnen are making significant inroads into the UK market supported by their reputation for providing an innovative, market leading product range and working with the biggest names in the energy industry. We are now looking to expand their team by recruiting a Technical Support Manager. Reporting to the UK Country Director, the Technical Support Manager will have a very broad role covering pre-sales support, first line technical support, on-site technical support and running training sessions with installation partners.
• Assist the sales team with system design and technical product support
• Handle general enquiries from installation partners for technical support both pre-sales and post-installation via telephone, email and site visits
• Run training sessions and workshops with sonnen installation partners demonstrating the installation process and product features. Customising training documents
• Support the company in new product development and ongoing product improvement, conducting continuous competitor research and communicating findings to the product research and development teams
• Attend trade shows both in the UK and internationally to provide technical support
A strong technical background is essential and would suit a candidate with previous experience in the solar industry, in either design, technical support, installation or commissioning. You will have experience of working on both single and three phase electrical systems, and may be a fully qualified electrician or an electrical engineering graduate. You will be able to work independently with minimal supervision using your initiative but also be a team player, supporting a small but passionate team.
This is a customer facing role so written and verbal communication skills must be excellent. The successful candidate must also demonstrate a good commercial awareness. Full product training will be provided.
This is a rare opportunity to join a market leading company in the exciting world of energy storage where you can play a key role in building the sonnen brand in the UK and helping with their continued success.
Listing jobs on the Solar Jobs Board is free for STA Members. Non-members can list their jobs for £25+VAT per listing.
If you would like to list your job, please complete this form.