Date posted: 09/12/2019
Embedded Software Engineer
£40,000-£75,000 (dependent on experience).
The electronics and firmware on the ZEB controls and monitors sensors, motors, pumps
and fans. In addition the ZEB connects over the internet to our AWS based IoT platform
which enables us to do some smart things around performance optimisation, connection to
3rd party platforms as well as functionality like OTA updates and connection to apps. The
ZEB leverages dynamic energy pricing data, weather data and APIs to 3rd party platforms to
provide flexibility services such as frequency response to the National Grid and DNOs.
We are looking for someone who is predominantly a Firmware Engineer but also has some
Electronics and industrial experience to join the team.
This is a critical role for the team at a time when we’re looking to grow significantly over the
next year and beyond. We are looking for someone who is driven, smart and willing to get
stuck in to a variety of work.
Finally, we’re looking for someone passionate about tackling climate change.
We firmly believe in the existential threat that climate change poses to us all. This is why we’re doing
what we can to change something!
● Full-time employee to start at the earliest available date (Ideally January 2020)
● Designing, developing and refining our firmware and electronics to get it to market
for the end of 2020. This will also include taking it through certification and
extensive testing supported by the rest of the team.
● Designing, developing, testing and supporting firmware for future product models in
Key Skills & Experience
● Ability to design, develop and test C/C++ source code with version control and
● Experience developing onto an RTOS on low-power MCUs
● Able to interface with a wide range of peripherals to enable real-time control
● Experience developing cloud connectivity via WiFi and/or mobile app connectivity via
● Experience of FreeRTOS on the ESP32 and/or STM32F3 MCUs
● An implementation of the AWS IoT SDK using the device shadow and jobs
● Experience of a digital PID control implementation and ability to tune cascading
● Experience in the Energy Sector also with electricity metering and frequency
● Experience developing mixed signal (analog and digital) microcontroller-based,
● Experience developing mixed voltage (230VAC and <12VDC) PCBs
● Able to design, build and operate HIL test rigs
● Experience cost reducing existing PCBs, and DfM for volume production
● Ability to design, select components, draw up schematics, and layout PCBs
compliant to EU legislation
● Worked with RF and radio modules (sub GHz, WiFi/BLE, etc.)
● Testing and diagnosis of PCBs using signal generators, oscilloscopes & flying probes
Please include a copy of your CV and any supporting information you think we should have. We
are considering applications on a rolling basis so do get in touch ASAP.
Date posted: 18/11/2019
Renewables Project Manager
Edinburgh, Perth, Mold
£25K – £40K per annum
Wind 2 was formed in 2016 to develop a new portfolio of wind farms and solar projects designed to be economic in an unsupported tariff environment. The Principals of Wind 2 have in excess of 100 years of combined experience in renewable development. Due to the expansion of our portfolio of projects we are looking for a pro-active project manager to join our small team, with the post to be based in either Scotland (Edinburgh or Perth) or Mold in North Wales.
Objectives of Role:
To pro-actively project manage the development of renewable energy sites from site search through the consenting process including the pro-active management of all aspects of project development, EIA, planning submission, land agreements, grid contracts, technical and environment design, commercial status and public relations.
Duties and responsibilities:
•Undertake early stage assessment of prospective projects to identify and appraise, planning, environmental, technical and commercial constraints and issues which may affect the suitability of the site for wind and or solar energy development.
•Manage the relationship with landowners ensuring the project has all necessary rights required and the relationship remains commercial and supportive.
•Oversee and manage the consultants engaged to carry out the Environmental Impact Assessments and planning submission, liaising with local authorities, consenting bodies and statutory agencies as required.
•Appraise and monitor technical, planning, grid, land, environmental and commercial issues and/or constraints at all stages of the development of projects, including managing the resolution and mitigation of arising issues.
•Prepare and implement a stakeholder relations strategy for individual projects, including liaison with the public, community groups, elected members, and the media.
•Monitor current planning and environmental legislative and policy issues that may affect the company’s development activities, communicating this within the company and managing the preparation of responses as appropriate.
•Work in accordance with the company’s agreed procedures for monitoring project development and recording risk, including maintenance of Risk Registers, Project Plans, Project Budgets, project related Financial Models, and Project Summary Sheet.
•Alert the Management team of the Company (as necessary) to any project related issues which might impact on cost, permitting, commercial project programme or budgets.
•Any other duties as reasonably required.
Qualifications and Skill-Set
•Degree qualified in a planning, surveying, engineering or an environmental discipline preferably with MRTPI or RICS membership.
•Experience within the renewables industry in project management, and of the planning process.
•Excellent report writing, communication and project management skills.
•Enthusiastic attitude and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
•A flexible attitude to work and the ability to travel regularly throughout the UK at short notice.
•Full UK driving licence.
Job Type: Full-time
Listing jobs on the Solar Jobs Board is free for STA Members. Non-members can list their jobs for £25+VAT per listing.
If you would like to list your job, please complete this form.