Senior Policy Analyst
£32-36k (depending on experience) plus 5% contributory pension.
This role involves shaping and analysing the policies and markets which will ensure solar PV, heat and storage can play a significant role in the UK energy system. You will be working on everything from economic modelling and analysis of the solar and storage industries, regulation of the electricity distribution system, to coordinating industry groups on energy storage, to understanding how changes in business rates can affect the economics of commercial rooftop PV installations.
Applicants must be able to excel in a fast-paced environment of a rapidly developing sector. You will need to apply your talents across a wide range of functions, working within a small committed team and collaborating with partners across the sector. This is an exceptional opportunity to work at the heart of the UK solar industry and develop skills across a range of policy, analytical and technical areas. With a challenging year ahead for the industry and subsidy-free solar becoming reality, this is an exciting role for a bright and confident self-starter who shares our passion to see the solar and storage industry continue to grow and deliver on decarbonising our economy.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Being the STA policy and technical lead on PV rooftop markets, residential energy storage and solar’s contribution to decarbonising heat. Generating ideas for future policy & research work in these areas, which are both consistent with organisation priorities and have potential for external funding, including running quarterly working groups with members
2. Leading on the development of STA’s internal market analysis, producing accurate and influential economic modelling of the solar and storage markets to shape policy development.
3. Being a lead author on STA reports in the area of rooftop PV, residential energy storage, solar heat or local authorities, working collaboratively with external partners and members as required.
4. Oversight of policy work aimed at influencing local authorities, which will be largely carried out by STA Policy Officer.
5. Responding to policy consultations as required from BEIS, MHCLG, Ofgem, regional government and other stakeholders.
6. Keeping on top of policy and technical developments for the STA team and updating member companies.
7. Providing strategic direction and executive support for STA member working groups on PV rooftop (commercial& domestic), new build housing, residential energy storage and solar heat.
8. Responding to member enquiries on developments in the energy sector.
9. Leading on specific policy areas where required, preparing briefings for members, government, the media, and the public to support our lobbying activities.
10. Undertaking management of ad hoc projects which might involve external consultants or oversight of the work of the STA Policy Officer.
11. Providing support to the STA communications and public affairs team – e.g. summarising policy developments for press releases or responding to media enquiries where needed.
12. Supporting the development of technical standards and regulations with members – e.g. working with Ofgem to show how network charging needs to change to accommodate increased on-site generation and storage.
13. Representing the STA at meetings, events, and conferences, including chairing meetings and undertaking public speaking for the STA.
14. Assisting with membership recruitment, communications, and events.
15. Providing administrative cover and contributing to other areas of the STA’s work where required.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Minimum 2.1 in a relevant undergraduate degree
• Excellent numeracy, analytical and spreadsheet skills – comfortable working with numbers
• At least 3 years’ experience in energy industry, regulation, or economics
• Experience in developing, interpreting, and manipulating economic models
•Knowledge of local government responsibilities and powers eg. planning system
• Excellent written, spoken, and interpersonal skills
• Confident public speaker
• Passionate about solar energy and the future of the solar industry
• Ability to multi-task and remain calm under pressure against multiple deadlines
• Technical experience in energy use in buildings or the retail power industry
• Relevant master’s degree
• Project management experience
Date posted: 28/05/2020
Listing jobs on the Solar Jobs Board is free for STA Members. Non-members can list their jobs for £25+VAT per listing.
If you would like to list your job, please complete this form.