When: Monday 8 June 2015, 11:00 to 19:00 including networking lunch and drinks
Where: PwC, 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6RH
The new Conservative government elected in May 2015 has the opportunity to take solar to competitiveness with fossil fuels under the right policy framework. The event will include:
- The Solar Independence Plan: the STA will be launching their new report, a blueprint for how the new Government can achieve subsidy-free solar.
- Greg Barker, the former Conservative Energy and Climate Change Minister in the last government and current Chair of the London Sustainable Development Commission, will be delivering the keynote address.
- Government estate roll-out of solar PV: John Nangle, from the Cabinet Office, and James Owen from Public Power Solutions, will provide a briefing on the tendering process for the roll-out of solar on the Government estate. Public Power Solutions are offering a streamlined platform to manage the tendering process.
- EU-China trade deal: EPIA, newly re-named Solar Power Europe, will update us on the latest on the Minimum Import Price and the European Commissions interim review.
- Storage and solar: Jelle Vastert from Tesla Motors will be presenting Teslas vision for solar, storage and electric vehicles.
- Grid challenge: Andrew Burgess from Ofgem will present the next steps on the grid constraint problems for solar.
The event will provide ample opportunity to ask questions after every presentation, discuss the outlook for solar power at this time of change and network over lunch and evening drinks.
10.30 Registration and coffee
Chair: Richard Black, Director, Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit and former BBC Environment Correspondent
11:00-12:30 The global context
11:00 John Dashwood, Director, PwC “The global solar opportunity and new survey on the state of the UK solar industry
11:30 James Watson, CEO, EPIA “The solar industry’s EU policy priorities and the interim review of the China trade deal
12:00 Jelle Vastert, Tesla Motors Solar, storage and electric vehicles: the Tesla vision
12:30-13:30 Networking lunch
13:30-15:30 The UKs ambitions for solar
13:30 Keynote speaker: Greg Barker, Chair, London Sustainable Development Commission and former Minister “Solar power and London: realising the potential
14:00 Paul Barwell, CEO, Solar Trade Association “The Solar Independence Plan for Britain”
14:30 James Owen, Public Power Solutions and John Nangle, Cabinet Office The Cabinet Office PV Procurement Programme: explaining the tendering process.”
15:00 Toby Ferenczi, Hanergy The IKEA Hanergy programme: 2 million solar homes?
15:30-16:00 Coffee break
16:00-17:00 The grid challenge
16:00 Andrew Burgess, Associate Partner, Transmission and Distribution Policy, Ofgem Next steps for the grid
16:30 Dr Matthew Lockwood, University of Exeter The UK energy system: the challenge of institutional inertia
17:00 Nicola Waters, Primrose Solar Grid challenges for solar: an overview
17:00-19:00 Networking drinks
This event will be £95 excl VAT per person for STA members, £295 excl VAT for non members. There are free tickets available for registered charities and NGOs.
This programme is currently provisional and the STA reserves the right to change the speaker list and order of presentations.